Do you ever want something different but amazing for breakfast? I found the perfect answer. You can make it like it states in the recipe, or change the bread out for another type/flavor so that it is never the same. This is a recipe I’ve been making my family and friends for a dozen years, and we never get tired of it.
French Toast Casserole
- 2 loaves swirly bread (I use cinnamon brown sugar or cinnamon or brown sugar or whatever kind you like to use)
- 8 oz cream cheese (a big block)
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups half and half
- 1 stick of butter (melted but not too hot or it will cook the eggs)
- Cut one loaf of the bread into bite-size cubes (no heels) and put in a sprayed 9×13 cake pan
- Open the cream cheese and pinch off pieces and drop all over the bread.
- Cut the other loaf like you did the first one and spread on top of the cream cheese. Press it all down with your hands.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, syrup, vanilla and half and half. Beat well with mixer. Add butter and beat again until all is mixed well.
- Pour over the bread/cheese mixture.
- Cover and put in fridge overnight.
- The next morning, cook in a 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes until nice and brown. I like to use a glass pan so I can see everything bubbling.
- Serve with syrup and blueberries or other toppings.
- This goes well with bacon on the side.